Monday, December 1, 2008

Celebrate Good Times...Come On!




Wow, it has been a very long time since I've written something. Sorry about that everyone! Last time I wrote was on...election day. Well, a lot has definitely happened since then, hasn't it?

The day after election day was absolutely wonderful. I felt like I won the elections. When my co-worker and I reached the school, we had teachers bombarding us with Felicidades (Congratulations) and my favorite part, the students changting "O-ba-ma, O-ba-ma, O-ba-ma!" in the hallways. I was happy enough to have the Obama shirt that my parents gave me so I wore it to school. When I would show the teachers, they would reply happily "OOOh, Obama!" I went to my Social Studies class where the teacher asked me to talk to the students about the elections and answer any questions they had. One student asked if I were happy that Obama won and I took off my jacket and showed them my shirt. They started chanting again. Then the teacher asked the students what they know about Obama and they knew a lot! They knew slogans and what he stands for and everything. I was very proud of these 11-12 year olds in a foreign country knowing more than some Americans do. But when I asked why they didn't like McCain, one student said "Because he's old" and another student said "Because he reminds me of Bush." I laughed a little inside because that remark could mean so much more than what she meant it to mean but I just left that alone for another day. I have included some of the front page newspapers from November 5, 2008 in Sevilla.
It just shows how much of an impact Obama has on other countries and he hasn't even made it into the office yet.


My time here thus far has been one of trials and
tribulations. I have been tried again and again and gone to the Lord in prayer because I was starting to break down. It is difficult enough to begin an adult life in another state away from family or even another coast, but another country? It has been very difficult. Not only have I had to find my own housing, but I've had to buy my cell phone and begin a contract, open up a bank account (hard for me to do in the U.S. let alone a foreign language), complain to my former and current roommates about different situations dealing with my living, apply for permanent residency, begin an Internet contract, go grocery shopping, and countless other tasks that I have not even accomplished in the States before. What kept me going was prayer, my family, friends, and my job. As surprised as I am to say that last one, my job has been a great influence in my feelings of living here. I never thought I would like teaching or interacting with children this much but I really do. I absolutely love the kids I work with, from their enthusiasm to learn English to their lightheartedness, it has been wonderful. The teachers are great too. They are supportive and helpful. At times when I feel down or when I feel like I just need to get away I go on a walk. That's what I love about living here. I can go on a walk and discover some of the most beautiful things. I walk to parks, monuments, the river, all types of attractions and they are all so calming. Being here has made me appreciate all that I have back home 100 times more than I did before. The simple things like central air/heat, ovens/microwaves (I'm supposed to get a microwave soon), hot showers that last longer than a certain amount of time, being able to go to the bank at 3pm (here everything closes for siesta around 2pm, including banks, grocery stores, government buildings, etc.), and just the ease of living at home. I love the experience because I realize it is making me a stronger person but I also love it because it is making me realize how truly Blessed (with a capital B) I am to have the things I have back in the States. To think I went from living in a one-bedroom apartment to sharing a 3-bedroom, 1-bath, with four students is incredible. Now I live with one other worker and a student. I am very humbled by this experience and wouldn't change it for the world. Although sometimes I fear it is trying to test me or break me, I know I will not falter! I will post some pictures now as I have taken quite a few since I've been here. I will try to describe some but that may prove to be difficult with the quantity. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have. I love reading!
Some Plaza (there are many plazas in the city alone)
I should know the name of this but I don't off the top of my head :-/
Plaza de Espana- Absolutely beautiful architecture
Plaza de Espana
Sort of like the Spanish army headquarters...
El Rio Guadalquivir- (The most serene place, great for reading and writing poetry)
Obviously I love the river


Torre del Oro (Tower of Gold)
The poster has a depiction of the U.S. and advertises an exhibit that will showcase the Spanish presence in the U.S.
La Feria de Belen (The Bethlehem Fair)- showcases a bunch of figurines related to the Three Kings, Jesus, and other religious figures.
Just in my neighborhood :)
El Corte Ingles (The English Court)- Where I get my specialty items like veggie burgers and Mexican food from.
They have the most beautiful Christmas decorations and they play Christmas music to accompany them.

No comments: